PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Paint Ornament Tutorial {my very first tutorial}

My first tutorial.

Paint Ornaments:
I made these several years ago, maybe 10, and had not done them since. Not sure
why because they are SUPER easy and turn out so unique & special. So this year Buggie
and I made some to give as gifts to neighbors and friends.

What you need:
- Glass Ball Ornaments (Joann's has theirs on
sale right now for 50% off,
since they were putting out Valentines stuff!!!)
- Acrylic Paint (I just raided my craft supply, but if you
have a specific color palette in mind, they are less
then a $1 a bottle for the Joann's brand.)
- An empty egg carton

And thats it!

1. To start pick out at least three colors if not more to use. Then remove the top hook off the ornament. Place the ball in the container upside down.

2. Then pour about a 1/4 tsp of each color in the ornament. No worries if you get some
on the outside of the ball, since it is acrylic it will just peel right off
once dry.

3. Once you have all the colors in the ball, just pick it up an start swirling it. Cover the whole interior of the ball. You may need to add more paint as you go.

4. Once it is covered, pour the remaining paint out in the tray.

5. Then set upside down in the egg carton. This is when gravity does its magic. The colors will start to run down.
6. It is best to let them dry for at least 4 hours.

7. Then gently replace the topper. And poof you have a one of a kind ornament!

As you can see the more colors the more dramatic the look. Buggie picked some pretty crazy color combos, but I have to say they all worked! She has such an eye. You can finish them off with a bow around the top or not. I think ours will go without. Hope you enjoyed and are able to try these, it is very very easy with a beautiful result.











Photobucket

12 comments:

Jane said...

thanks for great idea!

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!! I freakin LOVE this and am STEALING it!!!

christina said...

Thanks, I never thought about using paint. I make my with putting glue inside and then adding glitter. I will have to give these a try!

Lei said...

Really cool. A glaze paint would be fun too, and hung in a window the light would pick up the colors beautifully! Fun idea!

CalleLillyCafe said...

super cute! I've always wanted to do this!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Your colors came out SO bright!

Tylerpants said...

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing =)

Jacinda said...

Amy-We tried these and had so much fun! Thank you for the great project. We will be posting about them on Prudent Baby tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I should show my husband this post, he just held up a glass ornament that I never got around to painting and wondered what it was!

lisa said...

What happened to my ornaments? I did as you said, even used acrylic paints. They dried in the egg cartons for about two days. They looked GORGEOUS and I couldn't wait to tie them onto teacher gifts, etc for a little somethng extra. Then I put the toppers on and hung them on the tree for safe keeping. After 1.5 days on the tree, the paint inside has become watery and slid down to puddle at the bottom of the ornament. Funny thing is that it's only on the half of each ornament that is facing away from the tree that this happened. The side that is resting in the tree is fine. What did I do wrong? Did this happen to your ornaments? What do you suppose I should do to keep this from happenening?

Amy H. said...

Wow, thats weird. No that has never happened in all the years making them. Hum, when they were drying was there space between the ornament and the carton, you know so the paint had room to come out? Also were the completely up right to drain? And my last thought would be maybe there was something on the inside of the ornament. Maybe rinse them out and make sure they dry completely and try it again.

Weird, I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else.

Amy

Jackie said...

I made these a couple of years ago...they come out so pretty! (and so easy to do!)